14 August 2020

RIP, Herman?

Our beloved and super-reliable Expedition “Herman” finally died after nearly 316,000 miles, the 28,000 with us. A second mechanic confirmed the diagnosis: although he was well-maintained, twenty-one years of service did in his engine.  The best estimate to replace the engine is $5700. 

In recent months, I have replaced Herman's alternator, battery and cables, spark plugs, brakes, and two tires.  His front end has been realigned and bolts in the alignment mechanism replaced.  His transmission was serviced, too.  

He wasn't perfect: air conditioning was not cold and the driver's side window did not raise and lower.  We had, however, arranged Herman's interior to meet our needs and to accommodate all of my medical equipment. Thus, you can imagine my feeling of devastation upon being told thar he would no longer be available for us to go to work or to live in.  

I have been unemployed since early May and carefully saved as much as I could from my unemployment for a rainy day fund, but Herman needs a new engine at $5700 or I can replace him with a “new to us” vehicle at about the same price. 

Of course, this is the moment that Governor Newsome has a frugality attack, and the extended unemployment funds are being delayed.

What would you do?  Conventional wisdom is to call a charity and donate him.  On the one hand, Herman started every single day until he would start no more; on the other, he has been on the road since 1999 and other significant problems may arise.   

Either way, I have about half of the funds I need.  I have contacted a local charity that helps with car repairs, but they declined to help. Would you please consider making a small donation via PayPal? Anything would help.  Alternatively, you can help yourself to some new skin care, clothing, accessories, beauty, or household needs on my Avon store and help us to get going again. Thank you. ❤️


Agape always,

Cynthia

No comments: