09 May 2019

Homeless: Lars, Death Threats, and Why I Don't Reside in Tennessee

House Mountain - Christopher M - WikiCommons
Dear Ladies,

The photograph above is, for me, one of the most beautiful and comforting sights in the world:  House Mountain in Knox County, Tennessee.  Whenever I see that mountain, I feel as though I have gone home, even though it is now a state recreational area.  My first, second, and third great-grandfathers were born in the family home on House Mountain, in a cabin that stood from the late 1700s through the Great Depression of the 1930s.  My people have inhabited these environs for over 200 years.  Acuffs, Bookers, Chesneys, Hickles, Maynards, Sharps, Tharps, Thornburghs, and Websters: all of these names branch out in my family tree.    Maynardville, Tennessee, is named after one of my more famous relatives.  Eastern Tennessee has long been on my mind as a place for my retirement years due to its relatively low cost of living, access to health care, and general pleasantness.  

I made the online acquaintance of a woman from eastern Tennessee, and she suggested my moving there.  "After all, you're related to half the population of Union County!" she exclaimed.  We discussed places where I could work, places where the family and I could likely find reasonably priced housing.  I told her of my future plans, and she agreed that implementing my plan would be more challenging but still doable in eastern Tennessee.  She knew one of my distant relatives well and mentioned my wanting some land, just an acre or even less.  The relative and I corresponded via email and were discussing the possibility of my having a life interest on a piece of land that had originally belonged to one of my Webster ancestors.  It wasn't on House Mountain, but I could see the mountain and would be able to grow almost all our food.  Nothing was set in stone; we were just talking.  At the same time, I could see a real possibility that would solve a number of problems almost instantly.

But then I heard from my friend, Heather.  She had good news for me:  "Lars is retiring, so you can come see me now!"  

Lars, as readers of A Fascinating Companion may have surmised, is a former boyfriend of mine, a fellow who looked like a combination of a Viking and a Beach Boy.  When Lars and I were together, I told him of my special place, a particular little town, where I had always wanted to live.  My little heaven on Earth!

After Lars and I broke up, I received telephonic death threats from a woman from late 2001 until mid-2003 when I finally wrote to Lars's boss. Oh, I wrote to Lars, but my communication did not receive any response and the calls continued.  I stopped answering the telephone unless I recognized the number on Caller ID.  

A threat in mid-2003 mentioned hurting a family member, and that did it.  I wrote to his boss, outlining everything that had occurred.  The very day that Lars's boss received my letter, the threats stopped.  People who visited my home remarked that the telephone no longer rang constantly.  My family's stress level decreased, at least somewhat. 

These death threats commenced again very briefly after I moved to California in late 2003, but they stopped on December 3, 2003.  On that date, the last date on which I know I received calls from the woman, she called at least thirteen times. I know the number because she hung up on our voicemail thirteen times, and that made the voicemail full.

As far as I know, I have never heard from the woman again, but the calls changed me.  I am super protective of my family and don't post their names, photos, or any information about them online, nor do I answer questions about them.  I envy women who can publicize their loved ones' weddings, graduations, achievements, etc.  I don't make friends as easily as I once did because I am suspicious of strangers.  I am constantly vigilant.

Heather also had some bad news for me:  "According to the newspaper, Lars is moving to Tennessee."  

Heather went on, "He is moving to eastern Tennessee.  To (name of town).  I'm so sorry, honey."

How could he have remembered for almost twenty years?  Out of all this big world, how could he have chosen this tiny place in a distant state for his retirement?  Had he done so deliberately?  Or was it a case of unconscious remembering that should be in Psychology textbooks?

I may never know.

In any case, I cannot live in eastern Tennessee or anywhere near there.  I am almost 100% sure that the woman Lars married in 2007 or so is NOT the woman who called me, but I still don't know who did call me or why Lars couldn't or wouldn't stop the calls until I wrote to his boss. I don't know his associates in ET or what they might do to my family or me.  He is rich and powerful, and I am poor and weak.  And living in my vehicle.

Please do continue to pray.  I believe that there is a way out of this mess; I just have to find God's leading.

Agape always,
Cynthia

No comments: