23 December 2016

Second-Easiest Trifle in the Universe


Courtesy of Wikipedia - Public Domain

I am sharing this recipe in response to a comment I saw written by a lady who frequently honors this humble effort with her presence and comments.  A trifle may look impressive (and it certainly packs a yummy wallop), but making one is quite easy.  I label this recipe the "Second-Easiest" Trifle because the Easiest Trifle is to make it as a poke cake.

Cynthia's Second-Easiest Trifle in the Universe

One recipe of your favorite cake (or purchase some Sara Lee pound cake at the grocery store), cut into randomly shaped pieces
One recipe of your favorite pudding/custard (a six-ounce box if you use a mix from the grocery store)
One cup jam that coordinates with the cake and the pudding
One-half cup sherry (I don't use the sherry, but it's traditional)
One pint heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
One cup of chopped nutmeats (your choice)

One three-quart bowl or a traditional trifle bowl.

1.  Assemble all ingredients.
2.  Spread the jam over the cake and cut the cake into random chunks.
3.  Cover the bottom of the bowl with about a third of the cake pieces.
4.  Pour or spread about a third of the pudding over the cake pieces.
5.  Daub about a third of the whipped cream over the pudding.
6.  Sprinkle about a third of the nuts over the whipped cream.

Repeat steps three-six twice more. 

My favorite combo is chocolate cake with raspberry jam, chocolate pudding and hazelnuts.  Braveheart's favorite was yellow cake, egg custard, orange marmalade, substitute mandarin oranges for the nutmeats. 

2 comments:

Laura Jeanne said...

This looks great, Cynthia, thank you for posting this. My mother used to make trifle but I've somehow never gotten around to it. I don't think I will attempt this for Christmas this year as I'm down with the flu, but next time I make a roast, I'll give it a try. :)

Cynthia Berenger said...

You are welcome, Laura! I hope that you feel better soon!