19 November 2016

I Need Help with Organizing...My Memoir (Post and Poll)

Courtesy of Microsoft
Dear Ladies,

For a variety of reasons I have decided to publish my several hundred blog posts plus other writings as a memoir, of sorts, but I am stymied as to its organization.

Based on my reading and research, I have discovered that three major ways of structuring a memoir exist:  time, topic, and theme.
  • The time organization seems to be the most common.  The writer commences at time point A and progresses through time point B, usually chronologically.
  • The topic organization centers on different aspects of the writer's life.  For me, that would be something like the labels on the blog: husbands, homeschooling, femininity, recipes, etc.
  • The theme organization allows the writer quite a bit of fluidity and may combine the time and the topic organization.  I perceive that some of the themes would run along the lines of  "Learning about Love" or "Becoming Beautiful", but I don't have anything firm theme-wise yet.
I would appreciate your participation in my poll.  Thank you.

Agape always,
Cynthia

6 comments:

Margaret said...

I had wondered where your old blog posts had gone. Congrats on publishing your memoir! I had bookmarked your "Where do you buy your housedresses?" post so I could read it again later, but when I clicked on my bookmarked link, the post wasn't there anymore.

Margaret said...

I had wondered where your old blog posts had gone. Congrats on publishing your memoir! I had bookmarked your "Where do you buy your housedresses?" post so I could read it again later, but when I clicked on my bookmarked link, the post wasn't there anymore.

Cynthia Berenger said...

Thank you, Margaret! I appreciate your good wishes.

"Where do you buy your housedresses?" was an interesting post in that all of the housedresses I linked to sold out almost immediately. Isn't that an interesting coincidence?

For those who may wonder, my favorite places to purchase housedresses are as follows: Vermont Country Store, LLBean, and The Paragon. I don't receive any freebies or money from any of these companies, by the by.

Agape always,
Cynthia

Dawn said...

I, too, had book-marked some posts and recently discovered they no longer existed. What a bummer. But now I know they are not gone forever. :-)

Hmmm, as far as how to organize your book, I think I'd prefer according to theme, but I also like chronologically.

How about chronologically but put the category next to the title of each post/chapter? Like this: 28 October, 2016 Femininity Friday: Cynthia's Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake--Cooking

People could read in chronological order or quickly flip through to read all the cooking posts or what have you.

Dawn said...

I think I made a boo-boo in my previous reply.

If I had written "theme" for my choice and thereafter, I meant "topic".

Cynthia Berenger said...

I appreciate your input, Dawn. Thank you. I am surprised to see how close the voting is on the organizational patterns; I thought a runaway choice would appear. I probably will go with a combination of topic and theme, with a Chronological Table of Contents. Thanks, again.

Cynthia